Monday, November 25, 2013

November 25, 2013 - Grandparents' homecoming, changes, ASL program...wow!

Wow Mom! You were up really really really early this morning!  But I was awake before you even still!  We woke up at 6 our time to get ready to go down into the city for some Monday Morning Football on the National Mall.  The games were really fun and we played for a few hours.  It was wickedly cold when we woke up though, the car said the temp was 24 degrees, yikes!  It warmed up throughout the day, however by "warmed up" I mean it's now in the 30's instead of the 20's hahaha.  

Elder Giles and I have seen more appointments be scheduled lately, of which we are really really really really really really really really really grateful.  We've hardly had any this whole transfer despite our lack of trying.  It seemed like no one wanted to talk to/meet with us.  We're really looking forward to the next few weeks and the success we will see.

So we changed up transfers a little bit.  Instead of having a great big meeting where it is announced, on Saturday night we have a conference call where President announces it to the Zone Leaders, and Sunday night we sent the information on where people were going and with whom to our zone.  There was a pretty revolutionary thing that happened, our zone got combined with another zone so now Elder Giles and I are over 34 missionaries!  It's gonna be crazy as we run around like chickens with our heads cut off tryin to take care of everyones needs and stuff.  More responsibility has been placed on us as the Assistants are moving out of the office so they won't have as much to do.  It's gonna be great! And really difficult!

I have some news about the ASL program.  Elder Livengood is leaving on Wednesday, he has finished his mission.  I will miss him, but I know he has done a great job.  He has been a leader and motivator for me.  I've learned a lot from him.  Elder Squires is also leaving on Wednesday, he has medical issues that just won't go away and it's getting to be too much.  I of course will miss him very much too, as he has taught me so much about self confidence and being who you are.  So in one week I lose both my "brother" and my "son."  So that leaves Elder Winkler and I as the only called ASL missionaries.  However, Elder Wood knows sign language fairly well, and will be with Elder Winkler instead of me, but only for one transfer.  The reason only one transfer is because in January there will be a lot of ASL missionaries.  I've heard 2 Elders and 2 Sisters, and 4 of each, but regardless, that's a lot!  President Cooke has really been working hard with Salt Lake to get some ASL out here, since Elder Winkler and I both go home in February and we're looking pretty scarce.  I don't know what will be next transfer, but the ASL work will live on!  I told President that I would love to go back to ASL this transfer, as I have given blood, sweat, and tears to it, and he said my blood, sweat, and tears have paid off with more ASL coming out.  He said he needed me to be a zone leader.  So I accepted that and will continue to serve.  But I am glad we have come out of the confusion over what will happen and into the understanding.  

Anyway, lots of big changes!  And in a few weeks we get the "digital devices"(mini iPads?)  This transfer is gonna be craaaaazy!  

Oh and last notes, welcome back to the United States of America, the greatest country on earth, to my beloved Elder Grandpa Jarvis and Sister Grandma Jarvis!  Thank you for your service with me in the work of the Lord, I was strengthened just by knowing that you two were also wearing the badge as I was.  I look forward to your warm embraces again someday.  And I wanna wish a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DAD!  Have a great birthday as you celebrate with turkey and stuffing and pie and football and most importantly, family!  

Happy Thanksgiving, I LOVE YOU TO THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE, closer to the edge, Elder Schoemig

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me GIDDY. I am a returned Sister from the deaf program. I served in LA and Riverside Deaf branches. My dd is a Temple Square missionary that gives tours in ASL. She is sitting in the SLC airport waiting to board a plane to DC North as I type. She will serve in this mission for three transfers. Her dream for her outbound portion is to serve in a deaf unit and teach more using her 12 year old sister's native language and her mission language. Praying that President is planning on using her ASL skills while she is there. If you want you can follow her adventures on her blog asisterinzion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete