Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Feb. 29th, 2012

Hello again everyone.  I want to tell you about the devotional we had Tuesday night.  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Twelve came and gave us missionaries a pump-up talk.  I was less than twenty feet away from him.  He is soooooo awesome.  What he said really inspired me and lifted me up.  I received the letter about Dad's company shutting down right before dinner on Tuesday and I was crying a lot.  I felt sad for my family and for the struggles in the past year that we have had to go through.  But instead of being weakened and feeling like I wanted to quit, my resolve was strengthened.  My desire to serve was doubled and the Spirit of the Lord emblazoned upon my heart and mind a sure and steadfast testimony of my service.  Elder Holland spoke about becoming better than we were before.  He told us, "You don't have to be perfect, but you have to be the best you can be."  He told us that THIS IS REAL LIFE!  He said we're not supposed to go back to what we were after our missions.  He told us we needed to go to the edge.  I will go to the edge.  I will not stop.  I will become perfect in my missionary service, and that doesn't mean I won't make mistakes, it means that I will give my all.  The secret of missionary work is work, and my Grandma Jarvis said a little hard work never hurt anyone.  The fact that my father lost his job hurts, but it doesn't mean anything to me.  The Lord gives us trials that we may show through our faithfulness that we LOVE AND TRUST Him.  The adversary would have this weaken me and weaken my family, but it will not happen.  I issue a challenge, right now to everyone who is reading this.  Like Elder Holland said, go to the edge.  Impress upon your soul like it has been impressed upon mine a love for our Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ.  As Malachi said, as long as we are faithful the Lord will pour blessings upon us until there is no room to receive it.  I love you family.  Stay strong.  To the edge.

1 comment:

  1. Elder Schomig we got your picture and note to the boys. I read it to them this week. We got your state championship ring also. I will get it to your dad. We are so proud of your work. Keep it up. Go Knights!!!
    Coach McGeary

    ReplyDelete